This information was in The New York Times several weeks ago as part of their
"Spotlight on the Home" series that highlighted creative and fanciful ways to
solve common problems.
1. Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day, just one cucumber
contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid,
Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium and Zinc.
2. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a
cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can
provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours
3. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a
cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a
soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small
pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in
the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans
but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area. (WOW)
5. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to
the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a
few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin
to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite.
Works great on wrinkles too!!!
6. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices
before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain
enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the
body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and
7. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have
been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and
explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
8. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't
have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe,
its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great
but also repels water.
9. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber sliced rub it
along the problematic hinge, and voila, the squeak is gone!
10. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa?
Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals
and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be
released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown
the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
11.. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take
a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for
30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in
your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
12. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel?
Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only
will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave
streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
13. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly
use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that
the kids have used to decorate the